Monday, July 25, 2016

A Day

Today was long, but good, with only a little hysteria.  Miriam, Cowen, Eli, and I went mountain biking this morning.  Timothy put the big, squishy seat on my bike so it was a pretty comfortable ride.  Thank you, husband!  I haven't been biking in years and it was Eli's first time on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.  We both did pretty well, considering.  It was super sweet when the boys would get ahead of me by a bit, and then stop and watch and wait to make sure I made it okay.  Love them.  Then right at the very end Eli got caught up in a root and took a tumble off the side of the trail.  He was crying pretty loudly after he fell, and I was behind him so I got to see Cowen, who was far in front, dive off his bike and sprint back to Eli in obvious alarm.  Brother love.  Eli bruised his inner thigh and limped the rest of the day, but was otherwise unharmed.  I asked him later if he felt more macho because of his injury and he said, "No," in an irritated way.  A few seconds later he said, "Maybe."  Ha.  I love boys.

The other highlight of my day was watching Cowen carry around his new-to-him old-timey looking scout bag.  He kept calling it his sea bag and talking about planning a Brotherband based reunion.  I always know what they've been reading!  A little while ago Emeline was playing a game where she was a badger who didn't know she was really an elf.  She had just finished reading Incident at Hawk's Hill and the Lost Cities books by Shannon Messenger.

Timothy fixed the garburator so Miriam was able to do her dishes.  She's my hero.  We had a lot of dishes built up.  I tried a new peach, fresh mozz cheese, basil salad and it was delicious.  I'm a fan.  We did some school and now I'm supposed to be working on my new church assignment--it is a roadshow kind of deal--but I think I will go to bed.  Maybe by the time I've washed my face and brushed my teeth this adorable baby rolling around by my feet will be worn out and ready for bed.

Oh--I just remembered.  I changed Clover's diaper the other day and she enthusiastically yelled, "Bum!"  Another new word!  She says it all the time now because she thinks she's funny when everyone laughs when she says it.  I think 18 month olds are God's greatest creation and Clover is pretty much a perfect example of the species.

Three yearolds, on the other hand . . ..  I made five batches of blackberry jam on Saturday night and Oskar climbed on the counter the next morning and pulled one of the containers onto the floor and wasted almost the whole thing.  So much time and money wasted.  Such is life with a three year old.  Good thing he is really cute.

No comments: