Monday, December 4, 2017

Quick run-down of the day

Let's see--today I yelled at Emeline for taking too long doing her morning chore.  Then I yelled at Cowen for horsing around when he said he was going to finish all of his co-op homework (which didn't happen), then I yelled at Emeline again for taking two hours to do six pages of math (Megan, where were you with your magic drugs at that point of my day???).  Then I had Timothy finish helping Eli with his math and he had Eli laughing and happy and actually doing math and I wanted to yell at Timothy, "It's easy when you only help with homework once every 10 years!!" But I didn't.  Along with math we accomplished Eli's piano practice (Emeline weaseled out of it AGAIN by taking hours upon hours to accomplish one 15 minute chore and six pages of math), Harriet's language arts and math--including two extra pages of math because she begged to do them. The girl is so strange--she hates learning to read and begs to do math.  I think she was switched at birth.  I made several meals and bread and did three million loads of laundry that is now all piled sky high in the Commons waiting to be folded by magic elves sometime in the future. 

The highlight of the day, though, was reading Eli's daily journal writing.  He said, "Today is a very special day for me.  I get to have a concert at Weber State.  I play the violin."* He loves the violin and takes it so seriously.  He was so nervous!  He dropped his violin during the warm-ups and the neck came off along with the chin rest and who knows what all.  The teacher totally came through and found him a spare violin so he still got to play in the concert.  He was the cutest one there--all red-headed, freckled, and serious. 

After Eli's class played, Cowen's guitar class played.  I took Cowen to a barbershop to get a real haircut and as his barber said, Cowen looked "on point." 

They both did a great job.  After collecting the violin and guitar post-concert, we headed home where I gave everyone ice cream to eat while we read our Christmas story.  Then I spent two hours doing dishes.  Now I am emailing Miriam's composition teacher to tell him that Miriam is too sick to attend tomorrow, and then I will go to bed. 

Oh--and I started today going through all the snow gear to see what fits whom.  Eli is annoyed because only a "girl" coat fits him and he has no boots.  Emeline also has no boots.  Cowen outgrew his super expensive boots already.  What??!!  And he has no snow pants. Only a boy coat fits Clover and Clover and Annabel took turns going outside today as I only have one pair of baby-sized boots and two babies.  And yes, I am going to keep calling Clover a baby . . . at least until her birthday next week.  *Sob*  I was nice enough to let the kids go outside and play in the snow first thing, and paid for it the rest of they day.  This is why we usually declare all days wherein fresh snow has fallen as "winter vacation days."  Why did I even try?

*I edited his spelling so it isn't really a direct quote.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

This is just a perfect encapsulation of a day. For crying out loud, how do we ever make it through a week of these?!

Seb has been full of sarcasm and backtalk and bitter comments lately and it WEARS ME OUT. I just...am so tired. Sigh. But I like you! And I hope the elves come and fold your laundry!!