Monday, March 4, 2019

Nests and Johann's trip to the doctor


We started back into school today after our two-week sickness induced hiatus.  It went about how you would expect.  The little girls were fussy so Emeline built them a nest.  Then everyone needed a nest. Their own nests.  It was a lot of nests.  It worked out beautifully because we did language arts work together and then everyone retreated to their own nests for scripture reading and Civil War books reading.  It is always so awesome to start again in that routine is good for everyone, but hard also because it takes so much effort the first few days to get back into the swing of the routine.  Still, in all, a good day.

Johann and I made some progress tonight after he received a complete overhaul from a luthier in our area who tuned him up for free.  I can't even remember all the things Grover did to make Johann better and easier to play.  He shortened the sound peg, filed down the grooves where the strings enter the fingerboard, carved the bottom of the bridge so it sat flush on the cello instead of having lots of gaps, tuned up the pegs so they stayed tighter, added a plastic covering to the end of the endpin, restrung everything, and then showed me how to hold my bow.  I was really worried by the end that I shouldn't have trusted the man from whom I bought Johann, but, fortunately, Grover said that I got a good deal.  The cello is really nice and I did get a good price, but the seller was not a very good Luthier so the set-up wasn't great.  Thanks to Grover, that is no longer a problem!  Now I need to figure out first position and I'll be on my way.

No comments: