Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sad Emeline

Today I went to playgroup.  The kids played in the nursery (right across the hall from the gym) or in the gym where the adults were tying a quilt.  We checked on the kids periodically, but everyone was doing great so we weren't paying that close of attention.

So imagine my surprise when this complete stranger--a man--walked in holding a screaming Emeline.  He said, heavily accented, "This baby was stuck outside in the snow.  Does she belong to any of you?"

I thanked him, took Emeline, put Miriam in the corner (she had opened the door for Emeline and then shut it without going out herself) and took Emeline and her poor, purple, frozen fingers to the bathroom where I ran her hands under warm water until they turned from dark, dark purple back to pink.  It was not a happy moment for me.  But, thanks to Megan's story I knew to run her hands under warm water--and also to feel a little panicked.  

It is never a good thing to see your child with a stranger.  Sad, sad Emeline.

Another note about Emeline.  Timothy gave me nerf guns for my birthday (very fun) but Emeline was TERRIFIED of them.  I shot Cowen with one of the little round balls and he yelled "Ow ow" and gave me a dirty look and Emeline became hysterical.  She was so worried about Cowen!  Very sweet, but a little funny.  I finally banned the shooting of the nerf guns until after Emeline went to bed.

1 comment:

Kayli said...

Indeed-very sad. I think it is so cute when the kids get upset when you are play fighting or something.