Sunday, February 17, 2008

Books

My friend Julia wants me to post a list of books for her reading benefit. I will. Really! But not in this post. This post is going to tell you about three books that you really MUST RUSH OUT AND READ. ASAP. Pronto. Then, when you have finished reading, return here and tell me what you thought of the three.

First. The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio. It was the last book Lloyd Alexander wrote before his death. (I know . . . I can't believe he is gone either--my all-time favorite author.) It is classic Alexander, and is positively delightful. Right now Miriam and I are reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, but after that we are reading The Cat that Wished to be a Man. It is a little embarrassing how sentimental I feel about Miriam reading her first Alexander. But--really--Carlo is charming and the book is fun.

Second. Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George. I went to the writing conference at BYU on Saturday, but first I went to Salt Lake with Tim at 7:00 am so he could work until noon. So I read in the car. I hadn't heard of this author before her book came up on some Amazon "you'll also like these" lists. I checked it out of the library and I LOVED this book! Very fun, very light-hearted, perfect YA/dragon book. So imagine my surprise when Jessica Day George was one of the panelists at a session of the conference! Another stay-at-home mother, BYU grad. I'm telling you, it is an epidemic and I hope I catch it!

Third. After reading the last of Carlo Chuchio and all of Dragon Slippers in the car, it was still only 11:00 am, so I walked to the Barnes and Noble at the Gateway and spent some time browsing. Then I read, "Edward's Eyes" by the author that wrote Sarah, Plain and Tall. Patricia McLaughlin, I think. WONDERFUL!!! It took less than 45 minutes to read, but I loved it. And cried like a baby. And laughed. And loved it. So read it.

There you go--three great book options. Go, get them, read them, report to me.

No comments: