Friday, March 13, 2015

Ensign Peak--Not a Kids' Hike

A month ago, when Clover was two months old, I was going a little stir crazy and I wanted to finish listening to our book on tape before it was due at the library.  Because of those two things, I decided to take the kids to Salt Lake for a hike.  I thought I remembered hiking to Ensign Peak when I was a child.  I thought I remembered that it was a paved, easy hike.  I have no idea what I remember, but it wasn't Ensign Peak. The Ensign Peak trail is a half mile long going straight up, with fabulous sheer drop-offs guaranteed to terrify mothers of 4 year-old girls who like to run pell-mell up and down trails.  I carried Oskar and Clover up and then I carried Oskar and Clover down.  Then I felt very postpartum and like I was going to die.

Good times.

I do not recommend this hike if you have seven young children and nobody to help you.

Basically, I don't recommend this hike unless you are single and in shape.

On the other hand, the children had a lovely time.  We got to visit where great-great-great-great-great grandpa Wilford Woodruff hung out with Brigham Young (no relation).  The kids thought that was pretty awesome.  

Then there were the amazing views of Salt Lake.  

Plus, only two children wet their pants.  It could have been worse.

Nobody died.

If you add to the balance that we finished our book on tape and loved it, I might hesitantly call the day a success.
























3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Weird. I thought I remrmbered it being easier too. Maybe I never got out of the parking lot. :) Great views though!

Anonymous said...

I could've told you, I remember it being very much a straight up the mountain hike, haha. Is Miriam wearing my old shorts? Too bad those were tight, they are cute and I've been looking for cute khaki shorts, haha! She looks really really old. This is Lindsay by the by

Anonymous said...

You should have called me! I want to go. I have never been there. Dad went with his YM and said it wasn't that great….. Great pics - kids look happy.
Love you.
Mom