Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What Actually Happened Today

Today I started out proud--got up, wrote a blog post (family history, check), changed into real clothes and wet down my hair all ready to actually do it.  Then I started getting the baby ready for her four month check-up only to realize that I left the key to my room in my locked bedroom.  Where my computer, car keys, purse, and painting supplies all reside.

I called several family members with computers to help me get the phone number for the clinic to let them know I wouldn't be coming for my appointment, but nobody answered the phone.  My friend, Pepe (also known as Aunt Pepe to my kids or Debora to people who don't think of her as a prawn), actually answered her phone and got the phone number for me.

Then I called my in-laws for help getting Emeline to her softball game that evening.

Then I wandered around listlessly, lost without a computer or the painting supplies I was going to use to work on the music room.

Finally, I gave up on the day and sat down in my comfy nursing chair and read.  All. day. long.  Since it rained all day long (yay!) Cowen's and Emeline's games were cancelled.  Miriam made a cake.  All the kids made a mess traipsing back inside after playing in the rain.  Then they made a mess making a gigantic fort in the library.  That, of course, devolved into tears and hysteria when Oskar and Harriet kept wrecking the tent and Miriam and Cowen kept arguing about the fort's design.  Too many engineers spoil the broth--or something like that.

Clover and I hung out in the nursing chair, totally oblivious zen while reading A Girl Named Zippy, recommended by Pepe.  I loved it.  It was hilarious, but also a little tender.  I laughed out loud and I teared up.  I'm also a hormonal mess currently, so take everything with a grain of salt.  Still, Kami needs to read it immediately for the hair-growing part. I want to buy a copy just so I can lend it to my dad.  He'd like it.  I could, of course, buy a copy and give it to my dad but then I'd just end up stealing it back.  He only reads books once, crazy man.

Then I tried yet another new recipe (Kami gave me this awesome recipe book ages ago and I never tried any of the recipes right when I received it but lately I've been going crazy trying them all)--pork chops with rhubarb chutney.  I didn't like it as much as some of the other recipes but my children loved it.  Eli chowed down on the rhubarb chutney without realizing he was eating onions.  My kids aren't picky eaters but Eli doesn't care for onions.  Apparently the boy didn't realize that the chutney consisted of red onions and rhubarb.  Anyway, good recipe and I felt proud of myself for putting down the book long enough to put dinner on the table.

Now I'm off to bed to nurse my chest cold.  Ever since I had bronchitis that I didn't treat wherein I damaged my lungs, every cold I get goes straight to my lungs, so I'm trying to take it a little easy.  Accidentally locking my door helped with that immensely!!

PS We went to the library recently after going through a bunch of "best books for children" lists online and have found a few treasures.  I can't believe I made it to 36 without reading Grover's "Monster at the End of the Book."  It's hilarious.  Harriet already has it memorized and told me a few days ago, "I told Grover that it was him at the end of the book so he wouldn't be scared."  Love it.

Kayli, my children demanded that I tell you to check out The Gruffalo.  So there, you've been told.

3 comments:

Kayli said...

I've read Gruffalo. It wasn't my fave. But thank you for telling me anyway. I'm glsd you had a nice day to read.

Andrea said...

Gruffalo wasn't my favorite either, which is why I didn't mention it to you of my own volition. However, my kids think it is hilarious.

Polly said...

There is a monster at the end of the book was one of my childhood favorites, and the boys love it to