Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What We're Up To These Days

It feels like the days are non-stop exhausting marathons to get through these days. I put the oldest four in baseball/softball and that makes my May calendar look bizarrely busy. Cowen and Emeline have their first games tonight, one at 5:30 and one at 6:30 so I have to find a ride for Cowen to make sure he isn't late.  Miriam and Eli have their games the same days.  Six weeks of baseball madness, here we come!

Yesterday I spent a good two hours sanding walls in my music room.  As some of you may know, I painted the walls in my music room this glorious lemon-lime color, Frolic, from Sherwin-Williams.  I was so in love with the color I used to go sit in the room just to bask in its glory when the afternoon sun hit.  (Early afternoon is my favorite time of day.)  But then I pulled the tape off and the paint peeled off with it.  Apparently someone applied an oil paint and then didn't sand it down or use the correct primer when they painted over it.  The kids and I spent a few days peeling paint off the walls and baseboards (only two walls, the other two walls didn't peel off, so I left them and am hoping for the best).

Yesterday I sanded.  Today I am hoping to get to the walls again.  I need to wash them down to remove all the sanding dust, re-tape everything and lay down plastic, then put the expensive primer on all of it before I can start re-painting.  It has been a much bigger project than the weekend I first allotted for the job.

I got a new calling on Sunday--ward missionary.  I'm focusing on helping with the inactive sisters in the Relief Society.  This is a new calling for me, but I'm super excited because I still get to attend RS on Sunday.  Yay!

Baby Clover is doing well.  I'm taking her to get her four-month shots today.  :(  I always hate that.  I do like finding out how much she weighs and her height.  I think she's going to be tall like Miriam.  At Emeline's practice yesterday I saw a one-year old about the same length as her (well, I didn't actually check, but they looked very similar in height).  It is hard to tell because Squish likes to be curled up in a ball all the time.  She's not much for stretching out.  She's so cute.

Oskar has hit the "new word a day" stage.  Yesterday he said "Eli" for the first time.  He demands, "Lap, please!" when he wants to sit on my lap.  He says "Mim" for Miriam, which is adorable and he says, "Clover," in this sweet sing-song baby voice.

Miriam was accepted (by raffle) into the Maria Montessori Academy for next year.  It is a k-9 charter school in North Ogden.  She'll be in grade 7.  She's super excited because they have a drama club.  Timothy said she didn't need any drama practice--hee hee.  She'll be in choir and a class that teaches you how to make documentaries, along with the basics.  She's happy about all of that and I'm happy that she's required to wear a uniform.  I'm not really up to "back-to-school-shopping."  It will be an interesting change from our free and easy homeschool life, but we're looking forward to a new adventure (even though I'll miss her so much!!).

And that's about it.  Now I need to get going as Cowen just informed me that the kids are getting into the sugar bucket.  Ruff.

No comments: