Monday, September 28, 2015

Near death experience by stupid pit bull

One of my worst nightmares became a reality on Sunday night.  I went on a walk with Clover (in a stroller), Harriet, and Eli.  Harriet was racing ahead so she stayed out of danger, thankfully.  Eli was next to me while I pushed the stroller when a pit bull came charging full speed at us from one of the houses we were passing.  It was growling and baring its teeth and was clearly not friendly.  

My first thought was pretty rational.  I grabbed for Eli to pull him between me and the stroller and then I started to tell him to just stay still, but he screamed and ran away before I could get a good grip on him.

Then the pit bull started chasing him.  That was the worst part of the whole thing.  A stupid, ugly, monster dog chasing my six year-old.

I started chasing after Eli to try and do something, anything, to protect him.  As soon as I started moving the dog flipped around and ran right at me.  I screamed and acted all panicked because at that point everything I know about staying calm around aggressive dogs had pretty much become inaccessible in my brain.

Eli said the dog bit the back of my skirt when I turned around, but I didn't feel anything.  The dog was definitely acting like it was about to bite me--lunging at me and growling.

At that point the owners arrived on the scene and the two of them jumped on the dog and dragged it back to their house.

Cowen said he's seen that dog before--always with a muzzle on.

Some dogs should be shot.  That dog is one of them.    Especially as it lives only one street away from my children where they frequently ride their bikes.  I hate pit bulls.

3 comments:

Pepe said...

Aahh! That's terrifying! I'd call animal control and report the incident so that if something happens again, there's a documented history of unprovoked aggression and they can take action. Glad you're all safe!

Marilyn said...

Aaaaaaaaaaa! So scary! Bad, bad dog.

Lynn said...

MY worst nightmare! I too was attacked by two pit bulls.....when working as a census taker. I never went back to doing that job again......after 12 years of doing it. I am shaking just reading about your experience. I hope you report this. For the safety of others in the neighbourhood. The by law officer was so appreciative of me reporting. I really hesitated....but he said it's very important to report. Just my two cents worth. I know it's not an easy decision when you still have to live with the neighbours....as your neighbours. I am SO glad you and your kids are okay.