Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day

We also felt the need for physical activity on Memorial Day.  We started a health and fitness unit so we did a fitness pre-test.  It was fun and very, very hot!  I didn't do everything (vertical leap, long jump, or sit-ups), but I did do: three boy push-ups, 22 girl push-ups, four Aussie pull ups, an 18.33 second 100 meter dash, a 10:50 minute mile, 1/2 inch over my toes for the sit and reach, and a measly 15 second wall sit.

For awhile there, while I ran the mile, I thought I would pull a Lindsay Ann and have my insides become my outsides, but I managed to stay together and finish!  Wahoo!  Only Cowen and I ran the mile.  (Timothy was the official timer and coach and babysitter so he only had me time the 100 dash for him and didn't do the mile.)

The kids had such a blast doing the long jump.  Miriam started out at 81 and ended with 135--so confidence and risk-taking increased.  Excellent.  I wish we had access to a high jump set-up.

When we got home we were all super tired and worn out so Timothy and the kids watched a movie and I relaxed.  After the movie we ate watermelon and went to bed.  It was a lovely day.

Tonight Miriam and I went on a ride on the tandem with Emeline on her own bike.  My favorite part of the night was when I went faster than Miriam likes to go (so like, 1 mile an hour rather than .2 miles per hour) and she started hyperventilating and yelling things like, "No, no!  Stop, you VILE VERMIN!"  It was hilarious.  We only fell over because of a root once.  We are improving.  :)

Today for school we read a book about why you should be fit and then we watched the 2016 Humans Are Amazing video on youtube.  Holy smokes, people do stupid, risky things.  We all much preferred the capoeira videos we watched afterwards.  The kids and I decided that should be our family sport.  Oh, we also watched a video of a squash championship to try and figure out what squash is.  Interesting.  Good times.

1 comment:

Kami said...

You are way to ambitious for me.