Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fencing Field Trip

First off--don't judge me. No, I didn't listen to both conference sessions today. This morning I took Cowen and Miriam to Weber State for a fencing competition. I did hear the provident living talk. Oh my--what a call to repentance that was!

Cowen was transfixed by the fencers. He barely even squirmed. The fencers were all ages--from about seven or eight up to early twenties. The best fencers (in my very knowledgeable opinion :)) were two little girls about age 7. One of the girls was sporting some delightful knee high pink socks to go with her otherwise white fencing outfit. The girls were agile, athletic looking, wiry and spunky. The majority of the other contestants were not so . . . agile, athletic looking, or wiry. In fact, if one did a quick scan of the competitors one might conclude that fencing is the sport of the pudgy people. Quite different from the muscle-laden football team is all I'm saying. I'm sure at the professional level the fencers are a bit more in shape.

One nice, pudgy fencer let Cowen hold his epay (or something like that; not a foil because this is a different type of fencing than the kind that uses foils) and showed him how the epay plugs into the monitor to track points. He was a very nice young man. A woman was listening to the young man explain all this to Cowen and she brought me a newsletter from Ogden's own Schoolhouse Fencing. She said most kids don't start before they're six. So, if Cowen is still in love with the sport in two years, I guess I'll become a fencing mom. Well, a fencing/baseball/football/t-ball Mom (not to mention harp and ballet). Cowen expressed numerous interests today when I asked him if he wanted to fence when he was six. All the better. If he plays football too then he'll have an edge over the more portly fencers. At least, one would assume so. Although, one should never underestimate a fat man. My dad for example. He's freakishly strong.

Really, it was so much fun to watch Cowen watch the fencers. I rarely see him sit so still.

The best part--one of the fencers was named Wesley. Did the parent's know he was going to be a fencer in the womb??? Oh my sweet Wesley, you scored another point. Do be cautious fencing with the six-fingered man. Hilarious.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Fencing?? That is SO cool! I was surprised to hear the ages of the kids. Wow!

About conference. That truly WAS an amazing talk, eh? Make sure you get a chance to hear the other ones on the LDS site sometime....the rest were equally as good. I loved the one on reverence and the one on how TOO much of a good thing can be a bad thing. You know....Fasting till you kill yourself? Not good.

florascrap said...

Awesome! What did Miriam think of it? :)